FCC and Decency

 Rules are fun, right? Not really. Are they necessary? I guess. 


That's my view on the Federal Communications Commission. We talked about how there's censorship on the television and the radio and how the FCC regulates media. It's really "censorship" but people don't like to use that big bad word because for many "censorship" is automatically a bad thing. 

In the US, we actually have some pretty strict laws with regards to what we can say on the radio or broadcast on the TV. In the UK for example, swearing on the radio isn't a big deal. When I lived there in 2012-2014 I also discovered, to my pubescent amazement, that there were advertisements and TV stations which had very attractive women with bare chests showing past a certain time (I think it was 11pm? Though I wouldn't bet money on that.) I also found it quite fun to watch South Park without annoying bleeps. In America, bad language can only be found on certain specific channels or in streaming services, and nudity is unthinkable on cable television unless you pay for a pornographic channel. Not sure how many people would do that, though!

However, I do think it's important for primetime television to have some censorship. I don't think that young kids should be seeing naked people or listening to characters on the TV cursing up a storm. I do get incredibly annoyed, however, that adult shows on adult channels at times where only adults are awake are censored. I feel like that is illogical. The radio, too, has so many stupid illogical choices with music. Why would you put on a song which you know has cursing only to blank it out which kills the mood of the song? That's why I feel like a lot of young people don't listen to the radio anymore. Why would I listen to repeated music which is downgraded because of fear of financial repercussions? Well, if you ask my sister, there is no reason when she has her own playlists. 

This is kind of a weak blog this week but please give me a pass because I am going to work on my paper. Next week's will be much longer. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Media and PR

Dealing with Defeat: Fake News and Desperation in Ethiopia

Data and Social Media